Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Mr. Porter: 13 Reasons...Episode 13


                The man that has eluded the responsibility for his inactions throughout the entire show finally comes to his tape.  The kids begin testifying.  Clay is finished with the tapes.  It is time to pass them on to the last person.

                Hannah describes her process as she makes the tapes.  She started with 12.  Hannah says, “I started with Justin, and then Jessica, who each broke my heart.  Alex, Tyler, Courtney, Marcus, who each helped to destroy my reputation.  On through Zach and Ryan, who broke my spirit.  Through tape number 12, Bryce Walker, who broke my soul.  But a funny thing happened when I finished number 12.  I felt something shift.  I had poured it all out, and for a minute, just a minute, I felt like maybe I could beat this.  I decided to give life one more chance, but this time I was asking for help because I know I can’t do it alone.  I know that now.”  Hannah put everything she had left onto one person.  Did he ever really have a chance?

                Hannah went to see Mr. Porter, the school counselor.  As Hannah begins telling Mr. Porter how desperately she needs everything to stop, including life, he responds the same way he did with Tyler.  He seems to be trying to help.  I think he really did, but somewhere, he turns what they are feeling around on them, holding them responsible for what has happened, where they have ended up.  Clay goes to see Mr. Porter to give him the tapes.  Before he hands them over, he confronts Mr. Porter.  As typical with rape victims, Hannah is unsure whether it really was rape.  They tend to blame themselves, so Hannah could not say, without a doubt, that it was rape.  Hannah asked him to promise her that he would go to jail, he tells her that if she cannot prove that he raped her, she can just move on.  That’s what I said, he told her to move on, and then he let her walk away.  Hannah had been recording the entire conversation with him.  Her last attempt at life, in her eyes, failed.  The next scenes of the episode reveal her last day in this life.  They show her fill the tub, open the razor blades, get in the water, and then cut her wrists.  They show the whole brutal moment, the hesitation and contemplation, the moment she got up the courage, if you can call it that, and then every bloody and painful moment of the blade slicing her veins open.  Then, it shows her fade away as the blood-stained water pours into the floor.  They show the moment her mother walks in, then her father, the whole time Clay is telling Mr. Porter it is his fault.  Then, after Mr. Porter tells Clay there is no way of knowing why Hannah did what she did, Clay pulls out the tapes, and tells him that he is tape number 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment