Monday, September 26, 2016

Collo Requirements

Today, I am taking a break from the "Who I Am" posts to give some information on a recent event that satisfies a collo requirement.  Yay!  I was not aware that this could be used for a class when I originally signed up, but getting a grade for something like this is awesome.  This Saturday, my oldest son and I had the enormous opportunity to participate in the Alzheimer's Association Walk.  The theme of the event was, "The end to Alzheimer's starts with -> Me!"  We were able to help in the Promise Garden booth where we assisted participants with the appropriate colored flower.  Each color had a meaning.  Blue flowers represented those who are actually suffering from Alzheimer's.  Purple represented those who have lost loved ones due to Alzheimer's.  Yellow represented those who currently care for and support someone with Alzheimer's.  Last, but not least, orange represented those who generally support the cause of ending Alzheimer's.  The participants would write something on the pedals, and the helpers would put the flowers on the stem.  The flowers would spin, and they were so beautiful.  One woman lost her grandfather to Alzheimer's just 14 days before the Walk.  She was so moved by accepting her purple flower that she couldn't write her message.  She asked me to do it for her.  This made it personal for me.  I watched her walk away with tears in her eyes and a lump in my throat.  When we were all finished handing out the flowers, everyone at the Walk was invited to an inspirational speech.  The speaker had each of us hold up our flower by color.  She beautifully explained what each color represented and gave a moment of pause to honor those holding up their flowers.  There were only 2 blue flowers in the crowd.  I imagined how many people in this area, that are actually suffering from this disease, that were unable to attend because of how debilitating the disease is.  Later, I found out, by one of the other volunteers, that there was another man present that was too choked up to take his blue flower. 

I chose an orange flower.  I wrote, "For Mrs. Woodworth," on mine.  Mrs. Woodworth was a nurse in her prime.  After a hip replacement, Alzheimer's began taking over her mind.  I worked for HomeInstead at the time and I was her Companion/Caregiver.  Her decline began gradually.  After only a couple of months, her mind was completely overcome with fear and confusion.  I was clueless and afraid for her.  She was such an intelligent and graceful woman, and then she was gone. 

My son was fascinated by the people, but more so with the camera from Channel 11 News.  The camera man took the time to answer every question my son had.  It was wonderful.  I was afraid to let him ask at first because I wasn't sure if the man would be nice.  I was so surprised at how genuine this man was.  He was excited to explain everything to a 13 yr old boy.  I took a picture for a keepsake. 
Channel 11 News Cameraman teaching my oldest son about his camera.
The majority of my volunteer work has been through my church.  I thoroughly enjoyed serving my community outside of my church.  I was able to meet people that would not usually step foot in a church.  Although I was not sharing the name of Jesus, I was still able to share His love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment