Friday, September 30, 2016

Beauty on Campus

I had the opportunity to visit the Reece Museum on campus this week.  I was so surprised by the raw emotions I experienced.  I will share photos of some of my favorite pieces. 


This piece is part sculpture, part something else entirely.  She is sitting on an old, worn wooden box, and she is bound to the box by rope.  The design on her "skin" has a bird sitting in its nest, prints of male sculptures, flowers, and a serpent.  I felt sorry for her, but I was inspired at the same time.  I am not sure what she means, or what the artist was trying to portray, but she is beautiful.



This quilt is made of cotton, silk thread, and newspaper strips.  It is called A Month of Sundays.  There are several news headlines woven into each patch.   Many of the strips are of traumatic events, or events that appeal to the average person.  It was very moving. 





This was my absolute favorite piece.  This is a dress, but it is so much more than that.  All over the dress, the artist wrote down some things people have said about or to them, or that they have said about themselves, that they could not take off.  I believe that they were saying that we wear these words like an article of clothing.  We can choose to take them off, but most of the time, we wear them as if we are bound to.  "I am hopeless."  "I am not good enough."  "I am afraid."  "You are too fat."  These are just a few of the statements that are written on the dress.  This piece relates to me the most because I have had my own accusers through this life, including myself.  This artist chose to take their accusations off, but Jesus washed mine clean.  I can recall things people have said about or to me, or things that I have said about myself, but the pain is often drowned out by the love of Christ.  I thought that I would share some of these things in honor of this artist.  "You will never amount to anything."  "You stupid, F*#@ing B*^%!"  "Everything is your fault.  It's all you!  You!  You!  You!"  "You are too big."  "I can't do this."  "I am not smart enough."  We do not have to wear these words.  We can lay them down at the foot of the cross.  We can pick up the crown that He has laid before us.  We can rise up and shine and reign like the sons and daughters of our King.  I have never been more moved by a piece of art in my entire life.  I tip my hat to you my friend!




I love these two pieces as well.  They are made out of completely recycled material, but they are still cute.  I would actually wear these!  I was so impressed.  The talent and imagination it takes to make something like this is just amazing.



Last, but not least, these chrysalises are made of yarn.  They have been crocheted and placed on very pretty stands.  I am not sure of the meaning behind them, although I am sure I could come up with something emotional since that is what I do.  Still, they are something I would love to display in my shabby chic home.  If only God had called me to a profession that actually made money!  :)  Hahaha!  Teaching will not buy me any of these pieces of art, but they are still absolutely beautiful.


Well, I guess this post has a double purpose.  You learned some things about me, while seeing the inside of the Reece Museum on ETSU campus.  I hope you enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment