Saturday, April 1, 2017

Learning How to be an Undergrad Thesis Writer

On Tuesday, March 28, I had the privilege of working at the Boland Symposium. At the registration table from 10am-Noon, I was able to direct the Moderators and Presenters to the correct rooms, hand them their badge and lunch tickets, and even redirect a few business majors.  Dr. Ignace held a meeting a week prior to the symposium in order to show us where everything would be set up.   I was able to sit and talk with one of the presenters while she helped with registration the first hour I was there.  Her topic was controversial and brave, but I don't think I will share it here.  Before I had to leave for an exam, Dr. Ignace insisted that he feed me.  I am so glad he did because the mashed potatoes were amazing!  I was thankful for this opportunity because I am working on my own thesis.  It gave me a chance to be a part of the community that I should know and understand, but feel so far away from.  Mr. Hedden let us know that our thesis will most likely not be published, which was a huge relief, but I still have an amazing opportunity to be a part of something I do not feel qualified for.  Stepping out of my comfort zone and exposing my country self to such intelligent people is intimidating and exhilarating all at the same time.  I do not hold a candle to most of these people, but the fact that I am trying to walk beside them anyway makes me feel like I just might be brave too.  I am not sure what God is up to, but He is making it interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment